a blog for our network of house churches

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

06.13.07 thequest UPdate

thequest family,

This week, I thought I'd share a reflection from Dan who is interning with us about something he is learning as he is Connecting to Jesus.

As I was reading Colossians today this passage (1:9-12) stuck out to me:

“We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.”

It stuck out to me for a couple of reasons. The first was how cool of a prayer it is. I mean that’s the kind of prayer that I hear someone pray and say to myself, "That prayer is in God's will."

The second thing didn’t stick out to me until later. The prayer isn’t for any special reason. The Colossians seem to be doing pretty well. They have been growing and laboring since they first heard the Gospel. I realized that most of my prayers come from need, either mine or someone else’s need. Occasionally I’ll remember to thank God for His answering my prayer in my time frame. None of which are bad prayers, but this prayer is just because He loves the Colossians and wants them to give even more glory to God.

I’m thankful for the reminder to pray just because I love people. Try praying this prayer (Colossians 1:9-12) for someone that you love not because they’re in need, but because you want them to grow even more in Christ.
-Dan Hendon

Thanks Dan. Great reminder to pray...and great Scripture to guide our praying!

Press on,
Mike


P.S. Just a reminder that this Sunday night we are having an assembly-an important time for us to gather as a family and to be spurred on toward love and good deeds.
As a part of that time we will worship God led by John Ward and Joey Lipp--two guys I respect greatly for their heart and skill in leading us to honor Jesus. You can check out the teaching topic and more below!

Check out this week's UPdate HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home