a blog for our network of house churches

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

05.30.07 thequest UPdate

thequest family,

In reflection on the 4 part summer challenge which we articulated last week, I thought I'd highlight the final one this week.

As I prayed through the John 15 passage which has been our theme section for the year, I was surprised to find no reference by Jesus to "family." The family metaphor is used elsewhere and is a GREAT picture of what the Body is like. That picture is for another time and another place.

Jesus does build a powerful picture throughout this passage. From the vine and branches to obedience to love. Love from the Father and then through Jesus. Jesus shares a command:

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other. John 15:13-17 NLT


Coming out of that passage we see that Jesus talks about making friends. God has moved those who follow Him into an intimate and close relationship. Not slaves, but friends. Those who don't just receive orders, but step into a conversational relationship. Amazing.

Friends of Jesus and friends to other followers. Friends encourage friends to follow Him. Friends actually lay down their lives for another. I gotta admit the dream of an authentic community living by laying it down is one reason I wanted to be a part of planting new churches. Churches who would live in community like that. Authentic & loving. It's in our mission and something we can continue to grow in.

I see signs of a "devotion to the fellowship" as Acts 2:42 puts it. The call I put out there was to commit to connect with thequest as friends. To connect with one another and with our network is vital. Let's be friends together. Support our assemblies, our house churches, our ministries, our finances, our mission and vision together.

I'm glad to be a friend of Jesus and a friend of you all in thequest.

Press on,
Mike

to read this week's UPdate click HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home